Summer may be coming to a close, but don’t despair, there’s still plenty of seasonal goodness to savor. This time of year, we’re all about building maximum flavor with minimal effort so we can spend as many precious sunny moments as possible in the pool, at the beach or finishing up our summer reading lists. Enter Wisconsin blue. The tangy, earthy flavor of blue cheese effortlessly enhances even the most classic summer dishes.
Be sure to try these five easy combinations before summer slips away:
1. Tomato Salad: Top sliced fresh tomatoes with thinly sliced red onions and basil. Drizzle with olive oil, and top with crumbled Wisconsin blue cheese and freshly ground pepper.
2. Blue Cheese & Bacon Guacamole: Mix crumbled bacon and blue cheese into freshly prepared guacamole. Add more for garnish.
3. Blue Cheese-Topped Ice Cream with Caramel Corn: Top vanilla ice cream with crumbled blue cheese and caramel corn.
4. Sweet & Savory Chicken Salad: Mix shredded cooked chicken with mayonnaise, dried cherries, sliced celery and chopped walnuts. Season to taste and top with crumbled blue cheese.
5. Blue Cheese Compound Butter: Combine 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened unsalted butter with 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese. Mix well. Place on piece of plastic wrap, roll into log shape and chill for at least 1 hour. Slice and serve atop grilled steak or chicken.
Find more ways to close out the season in style in the summer issue of Grate. Pair. Share.