Thanksgiving is a time for tradition. We all have our favorite Thanksgiving recipes that absolutely must be on the table every year to make the holiday complete. You won’t be surprised to learn that Wisconsin cheese is a key ingredient in many of our favorite Thanksgiving dishes. It adds wonderful flavor and appeal to just about any dish. Here are 10 reasons to serve cheese on your Thanksgiving table this year.
10. Because you secretly dream of becoming a cheesemonger. Well, now you can cook like one! Get the recipe for The Cheesemonger’s Macaroni, a Thanksgiving favorite from Kathleen Cotter of The Bloomy Rind in Nashville, Tenn.
9. Because grandma’s green bean casserole needs an upgrade. We’re talking a creamy homemade cheese sauce with Wisconsin fontina or Swiss, fresh mushrooms and green beans topped with spicy onion rings. You’ll never look back. Get the recipe.
8. Because that apple pie is just begging to be topped with a slice of Wisconsin cheddar.
7. Because a cheese board filled with American artisan cheese is a great way to welcome your guests. Thanksgiving is a quintessential American tradition, so why not celebrate the heritage of our country’s wonderful food traditions, like Wisconsin cheese. Get Thanksgiving cheese pairing tips.
6. Because it turns out you can make friends with salad. If it’s packed with tasty ingredients like roasted pumpkin, spicy toasted pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries and aged Wisconsin cheddar. Get the recipe.
5. Because pumpkin and mascarpone are a match made in heaven. Whether it’s instead of the traditional pumpkin pie or served right alongside it (it’s Thanksgiving – go big), this Pumpkin Cake Roll with Mascarpone Cream is sure to please.
4. Because a holiday cheese ball is never a bad idea. Might we suggest this Bacon and Cheddar Cheese Ball.
2. Because sometimes you need to make more than one pie. And we’d go with this Cheddar Almond Cream Pie with Cranberry and Almond Streusel. It’s a buttery pie crust, filled with cheddar almond cream, fresh cranberries and topped with almond streusel. Talk about a show stopper.
1. Because any dish that could upstage the turkey is worth putting on the table. A Cheese-Stuffed Pumpkin is basically the best stuffing you’ve ever tried, inside a pumpkin, covered in cheese. Thanksgiving will never be the same.
Need more ideas for the big day? Check out our holiday menu at EatWisconsinCheese.com.