October is American Cheese Month, which means another great reason to celebrate American cheesemakers and the wonderful array of cheeses they create. (Did you know Wisconsin cheesemakers make more than 600 varieties, types and styles of cheese?)
It’s also a time when we embrace fall and all the flavors of harvest time. What better way to combine cheese and fall flavors than a harvest cheese board? Learn how in just three easy steps, and read on to enter to win a cheese board and selection of cheeses and harvest accompaniments.
Step 1: Start with Wisconsin Cheese
You’ll want to include three to five cheeses of various styles and flavor profiles. Our harvest cheese board includes:
- Alpine style – We featured Little Mountain from Roelli Cheese, which recently won Best of Show at the 2016 American Cheese Society Competition! Or try other Wisconsin original cheeses like Pleasant Ridge Reserve or Roth Grand Cru.
- Blue cheese – Go for your favorite variety or add some heat with Carr Valley Wildfire Blue, flecked with red chiles.
- Brie log: Easily slice into cracker-sized bites.
- Cranberry chipotle cheddar: Smoky, spicy, sweet & savory.
- Parmesan – It’s not just for cooking – break into bite-sized chunks for easy snacking.
Step 2: Add Flavorful Accompaniments
Fill in your cheese board with seasonal pairings that add spice, sweetness and crunch.
- Pumpkin butter
- Apple crisps
- Spiced pumpkin seeds (Season with a dash of salt and chili powder and roast)
- Candied bacon
- Rustic crackers
- Fresh figs
Step 3: Garnish with Seasonal Flair
Add natural decorative elements to your cheese board to add visual interest and seasonal appeal.
- Dried corn or corn husks
- Sage leaves
Find many more entertaining ideas for fall in the harvest issue of Grate. Pair. Share.
ENTER TO WIN: Enter below to win a cheese board and a selection of Wisconsin cheese and harvest accompaniments.
a Rafflecopter giveaway