For a satisfying quick and easy meal, nothing beats a gooey grilled cheese. This Mediterrenan Grilled Cheese recipe is one of our favorites because not only does it include two kinds of Wisconsin cheese (mozzarella for the perfect melt, feta for tangy flavor), it’s also packed with fresh ingredients like spinach, black olives and Roma tomatoes. And, it’s so simple to make.
To help you create the perfect grilled cheese, follow these tips from fellow cheese lover and James Beard award-winning author, Laura Werlin:
• Shred the cheese – The cheese melts quicker so the bread is less likely to burn.
• Use a nonstick pan – If you use a conventional pan, you run the risk of the oozing cheese acting like glue between your sandwich and the pan.
• Cook it low and slow – Cook it too fast and the bread will burn before the cheese has a chance to melt thoroughly.
• Cover it while cooking (mostly) – Don’t worry that the sandwich will steam. It won’t. Cover it until the final flip and the cheese will melt beautifully.
• Press firmly – Pressing the sandwich helps create the perfect bread-to-cheese ratio, which is the key to a great grilled cheese sandwich.
Find more grilled cheese recipes, tips and tricks at www.grilledcheeseacademy.com.
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
2 cups fresh spinach
2 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Wisconsin mozzarella cheese
2 1/2 tablespoons (1 ounce) Wisconsin feta cheese, crumbled
2 slices rustic white bread or sourdough bread
4 Roma tomato slices
2 tablespoons California black olives, diced
1 tablespoon red onion, finely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in nonstick10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and spinach and sauté until spinach begins to wilt, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, stir in basil and set aside.
Sprinkle mozzarella and feta over 1 bread slice in even layer. Place tomatoes in single layer over cheese. Spread spinach mixture over tomatoes; sprinkle olives and red onions over tomatoes. Season with pepper and top with remaining slice of bread.
Spread 1 teaspoon olive oil evenly over skillet, add sandwich and heat over medium-low heat. Cook until bottom is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes, then remove sandwich from pan. Spread remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil evenly along skillet, carefully rotate sandwich to opposite side and return to pan over medium-low heat. Cover skillet with lid and cook until bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.